Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Summer's Getaway

The cat is back!



Featuring Nyanko-sensei from Natsume Yuujinchou San airing in this summer season of anime. Just finished the first episode and it's such a pleasure to watch, just as before. It feels great to see Nyanko-sensei's antics again. The visuals and music are just as wonderful as ever. The best part is the warm fuzzy feeling that Natsume never fails to give me after watching it. I love how the subtle storytelling is able to convey emotions so delicately. Heavily dramatic dramas have never been an appeal to me. I'd say I prefer a gentle summer breeze over a storm. Be prepared to shed some tears over the journey with Natsume. Even as cold-blooded as I am, Natsume has quite successfully brought tears to my eyes again and again. Not bad for a change after Spring's season of hot-blooded action animes. The last time I weeped was when Merry-go was give a fire burial. Oh, and when Ace died.






Another tear-jerker of the season is Usagi Drop. It tells the story of 30-year-old Daikichi taking guardianship of Rin, who is an illegitimate 6-year-old daughter of his grandfather. I think his 79-year-old grandpa is incredible in a different sort of sense. The scenes are beautifully done and emotions are handled with sensitivity. It is heart wrenching to see Rin asking innocently in front of her father's coffin: "もう、起きないの?"(He won't wake up anymore?). A quiet and obedient child, Rin easily earned my sympathy. In comparison, the bratty kid called Reina totally irks me off. Throwing tantrums and making noise at a funeral, 真是没教养的死小孩. The OP and ED animation are also done befittingly, bearing looks from the art of children's story books. Needless to say, I await the next episode fervently.


By the way, Usagi Drop has been adapted into a live-action film to be released next month, starring Kenichi Matsuyama and Mana Ashida. Not exactly the guy I had in mind, he just doesn't have the aura of an 30-year-old white-collar worker. Still, it's definitely better than Yusuke Yamamoto casting as Suoh Tamaki from Ouran. I cursed when I saw that.

No comments:

Post a Comment